Botanical name: Holy Basil (Ocimum Sanctum Linn)
In India, the plant of Tulsi, or Holy Basil is considered very sacred and worshiped on various occasions. In fact, people in India celebrate Tulsi Vivah, which refers to the marriage of Lord Vishnu and this ayurvedic herb.
Tulsi, the empress of the Ayurvedic landscape, is loaded with a number of medicinal qualities recognized for more than 5,000 years and now proved by modern science.
Tulsi is considered a living manifestation of the divine within the plant kingdom. The ancient Vedic Bhagavata Purana text hails Tulsi as the plant incarnation of Lakshmi, wife of Vishnu, and the goddess of wealth and kindness.
- There are over a hundred different varieties of the plant, but among them, two stand out above the rest – Ram Tulsi and Vana Tulsi.
- Ayurveda also recognizes the sacred landscape of tulsi. Its Sanskrit name refers to “the incomparable one.”
Tulsi and Doshas
For Vata-related cases, it is recommended to mix Tulsi with fresh ginger and prepare tea; for Pitta types, mix with Brahmi or rose petals; and for Kapha type, try dry ginger.
Tulsi- Health Benefits
- Tulsi helps the body deal with different types of stress in daily life.
- Relieves cough, cold and congestion
- Soothes the nervous system
- Enhances immunity
- Balances emotions
- Increases Prana, the important life force
- Controls increased blood sugar levels
- Improves heart health
- Improves digestion
- Heals and reinforces the Adrenals
Scientific Studies About Tulsi
- A scientific study on male albino rats has discloseda decrease in sperm count. Follicle Stimulating Hormone and Leutinizing hormones, with an increase in testosterone levels.
- Another study reinforces traditional uses and suggests that tulsi is a powerful treatment for lifestyle-related chronic diseases including diabetes, metabolic syndrome, and psychological stress.
Dharmsala Teas with Tulsi
- Moringa Tulsi Green Tea
- Ayurvedic Detox Blend Teabags - Tulsi Ginger Green Tea
- Valley of Herbs Tisane Teabags
- The Yogi Morning Blend
- The Positive Energy Blend
- Himalayan Keshyam Blend
- Dandelion Detox Tea Blend