Botanical name: Curcuma Longa Linn
Considered one of the popular Ayurvedic herbs, Turmeric has been used as a major ingredient in various foods.In Ayurveda, turmeric is a well-known remedy for several respiratory conditions (e.g., asthma, bronchial hyperactivity, and allergy), as well as for liver ailments, anorexia, rheumatism, diabetic injuries, runny nose, cough, and sinusitis.
Various studies exhibit that consuming curcumin, a chemical present in turmeric, reduces depression symptoms in individuals already using an antidepressant.
- Turmeric (Curcuma longa) is a flowering plant of the ginger family, Zingiberaceae, widely used for cooking purposes.
- In Ayurveda, turmeric is believed to have several medicinal properties including solidifying the overall body energy, relieving gas, dispersing worms, refining digestion, controlling menstruation, softening gallstones, and releasing arthritis.
Turmeric and Doshas
Turmeric is employed in Ayurveda for balancing Vata, pitta, and Kapha, though, in surplus, it can exacerbate pitta and Vata. It has several useful effects for rasa and rakta dhatus (the blood and plasma of the circulatory system). It also lights Agni (digestive fire), helping control Kapha and ama (toxins).
Turmeric- Health Benefits
- Turmeric is very useful for the treatment of problems related to the liver, skin, heart, and lungs.
- It is used for epilepsy and bleeding disorders, skin diseases, to purify the body-mind, and to help the lungs out Kapha.
- It reduces fevers, diarrhea, urinary disorders, insanity, poisoning, cough, and lactation problems in general.
- It treats external ulcers that respond to nothing else. Turmeric reduces Kapha and is used to eliminate mucus in the throat, watery discharges like leukorrhea, and any pus in the eyes, ears, or in wounds, etc.
- Turmeric helps to normalize the female reproductive system and purifies the uterus and breast milk, and in men, it purifies and builds semen, which is counter intuitive for a strong bitter.
- Turmeric is used as a heating spice, leading to bitter, pungent, and astringent tastes.
- Turmeric is a wonderful carminative, soothes an upset digestive system by eliminating gas and distention. Carminatives also tend to improve absorption and nurture the intestinal flora.
Scientific Studies About Turmeric
- In a Scientific Study Turmeric improvises the quality and quantity of blood. The liver regularizes the fat metabolism and detoxifies the nutrients passing through it.
- Turmeric helps in immune modulation by correcting metabolism, enabling free circulation of nutrients and oxygen to every cell and due to its anti-oxidation property.
Dharmsala Teas with Turmeric