Botanical name: Convolvulus Pluricaulis
Primarily used as a brain tonic and memory booster, Shankpushpi is a very popular Ayurvedic medicine for years. The term shankhpushpi was led to the plant considering to its shankh or conch-shaped flowers. This Ayurvedic remedy helps in improving brain concentration, learning capabilities, mental exhaustion, insomnia, stress, anxiety, depression,etc.
The general discipline of Ayurveda promotes shankhpushpi in a variety of rasayanas or preparations and sacred scripture by the Sanskrit names Shyamakranta, Visnukranta, Vaishnava, Sankhaholi, Vishnugandhi, Vishnukranti, Shankavall, Vishnukrantha, Krishnaenkranti, Nilashankhapushpi, Ksheerpushpi, Laghuvishnukranta, Erravishnukaraantha.
- It is also known by the name as shankhahuli and shankhavali in India. You may often notice it written as shankhpushpi. It is also called ‘speed wheel’ in English.
- Shankhpushpi is even used as a vegetable in some parts of India.This herb helps to soothe the nervous system. It also provides relief in the symptoms related to vertigo like headache, anxiety, stress, and brain issues.
- The Ayurvedic possessions of Shankhpushpi are acrimonious, unctuous, damp, cool and sweet. It is a brain stimulant. It appeasesVata, Pitta and Kapha.
- Shankhapushpi is very effective in case when the 3 doshasworsen, particularly when Pitta is surplus. Shankhpushpi is used in various formulations.
Shankpushpi - Health Benefits
- It enhances memory and intelligence.
- Shankhpushpi is arasayana herb, which rejuvenates mind and body, leaves an anti-aging effect, nurture salldhatus (bodily tissues), and advances life expectancy.
- It reinforces the brain and the nervous system.
- As it is found to strengthen the brain, it is sometimes used for a range of ailments like mania, epilepsy, and stupor.
- It is helpful in encouraging sleep.
- It promotes hair growth.
- It is helpful for various skin disorders.
- It improves appetite and helps indigestion.
- It is helpful in releasing unnecessary abdominal gas.
- It is also useful for hemorrhoids or piles.
- It acts as a laxative.
- It is good for the heart and acts as a cardiac tonic.
- It has blood-clotting properties and is helpful in rakta pitta or bleeding disorders. Rakta pitta is a bleeding disorder where bleeding occurs due to an aggravated Pitta dosha.
- It eradicates unwarranted mucus from the body.
- It serves as a diuretic.
- It is an aphrodisiac.
- It is effective in the treatment of STIs like syphilis.
- It fortifies the uterus and is sometimes used for assisting conception.
- It is very effective in treating fever.
Scientific Studies About Shankpushpi
- A study on shankhapushpyadighanavati (which contains shankhpushpi as an ingredient) showed that shankhpushpi is also useful in managing high blood pressure.
- Shankhpushpi has anxiolytic (anti-anxiety) activity.
Dharmsala Teas with Shankpushpi
- Ayurvedic Boost Teabags - Kangra Green Tea with Ashwagandha, Shankpushpi and Brahmi
- The Positive Energy Blend