Botanical name: Syzgiumaromaticum
Clove - Summary
Also known as Lavang, Clove is a commonly used spice and widely used in the preparation of herbal teas. However, this flavorful, aromatic spice has been conventionally used in treating a wide range of health problems including colds, cough, infection, fever, toxicity, and lot others. It is a very pungent herb that is obtained from the dried flower bud of its tree. Clove is termed as a stimulant and is great for encouraging the digestive fire, accelerating the metabolism, boosting circulation, and even arising the mind.
- Clove holds prominence in conventional Chinese medicine and Ayurveda to relieve nausea, digestive disorders, and flu.
- Cloves have an amazing shelf life and this flowering spice will last you almost a year if stored away from light and moisture.
- Clove is known to numb the mouth and are used topically for toothache.
Clove and Doshas
- Clove oil boosts digestion power. It balances Vata and Kapha, useful in aches and pains, useful to relieve toothache.
- It balances all three doshas (Vata, Pitta, Kapha), although it will still increase Pitta (heat) when taken in excess.
Clove- Health Benefits
- Treats chest congestion, phlegm, and mucus
- Relives cough, sore throat, asthma, sinusitis, and laryngitis
- Treats fever, cold, flu, and nausea
- Treats toothache, headache, migraines, back pain, and joint pain
- Increases the metabolism, helps in weight loss
- Eradicates toxins from the system
- Anti-fungal, beneficial in Candida overgrowth
- Anti-viral, Antibacterial, and Anti-parasitical
- Great antioxidant properties
- Protects the liver
- Decreases depression and a dull, foggy mind
- Increases breastmilk production
- Soothes nausea during pregnancy
- Best for impotence and premature ejaculation
- Treats amenorrhea (lack of menstruation), scanty menstruation, and dysmenorrhea (painful menstruation)
- Eases menstrual cramping
Scientific Studies About Clove
- A study in mice found that clove extract and nigeric in, a component of clove extract, reduced insulin resistance in mouse muscle cells.
- In one lab study, scientists found that clove extract was able to slow the growth of multiple types of human cancer cells. Clove extract also increased cell death in colon cancer cells.
Dharmsala Teas with Clove
- The Christmas Blend
- The Trijata (Three Aromatics) Blend
- Himalayan Kashmiri Kahwa Green Tea
- Himalayan Masala Green Tea
- Maharaja Oolong Tea
- Himalayan Thunderstorm - Masala Tea